Visit some of these fun links to find out more about chess and chess in schools.
American Chess School
Chess Magnet School
Internet Chess Club
United States Chess Federation (USCF)
After you have checked out online play, try some of these other fun chess game spots.
Chess on the Loose
Free Internet Chess Server
MSN Game Zone
World Chess Network
Learn more about chess and chess in education with the help of some of the titles below.
Books for Parents, Teachers, and Coaches
- Lev Alburt, The Comprehensive Chess Course - This can be supplemented by a handbook from the U.S. Chess Center called "Critical Thinking Lesson Plan." You can order Alburt's book from many sources, including USCF, but the supplement must be ordered through the U.S. Chess Center at www.chessctr.org.
- Yasser Seirawan's Six-part "Winning Chess" series, especially Play Winning Chess and Tactics
- Sunil Weeramantry, Best Lessons of a Chess Coach
- Dan Heisman, A Parent's Guide to Chess
- John Nunn, Secrets of Practical Chess
- Fernando Moreno, Teaching Life Skills Through Chess
- Daniel King, How To Win At Chess
- Alexey W. Root, Children and Chess, A Guide for Educators
- Todd Bardwick, Teaching Chess in the 21st Century www.coloradomasterchess.com/books.htm
Books for Children
- Janet S. Wong, Alex and the Wednesday Chess Club www.amazon.com
- Fischer, Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess, available in most bookstores
- Murray Chandler, How to Beat Your Dad at Chess www.schoolchess.com
- Michael Kusen, Chess Poems call 718-446-3963 or e-mail
- Harriet Castor, Starting Chess with Internet Links www.edcpub.com/cat_ubah/cat-search.asp
- Rosalyn B. Katz, Start Playing Chess
- Anatoly Karpov, Disney's Chess Guide
- John Bain www.chessforstudents.com
- Chess Rules for Students
- Checkmate! Ideas for Students
- Chess Tactics for Students (more advanced students)
- Todd Bardwick, Chess Workbook for Children www.coloradomasterchess.com/Workbook.htm
Improve your game with the help of some of these interactive chess CD’s
- Chessmaster 9000, from beginners to advanced player, PC Only. www.chessmaster.com
- Chess Mates, a CD published by Interplay. Especially good for younger players PC and MAC.
- Maurice Ashley Teaches Chess , training tool and full-featured chess program by Davidson/Simon & Schuster (Beginning and Intermediate players) PC and MAC. www.mauriceashley.com/store.htm
- Think Like a King, a CD chess instruction program available from USCF. www.schoolchess.com